Gas chainsaws are must-have tool for a professional lumberjack, DIY landscapers and gardeners.
Some gas chainsaws are suitable for handling heavy-duty tasks like felling, bucking large trees. While some are more maneuverable making them suitable for pruning and trimming.
In order to choose the best gas chainsaw, you have to consider certain factors. Some of them are mentioned below…
- Guide Bar or Blade Length: Length of blade and chain determines how thick of wood piece can the chainsaw cut. Blade length of chainsaws ranges from 12 to 17 inches. For residential purposes or casual lumberjack, 12 to 20 inches is suitable. For professional-grade and heavy-duty works, we recommend to go for 20 inches or above.
- Engine Size/Power: A large engine means it has more power to handle any tasks. Small engines are easier to move so they are perfect for pruning and trimming tasks. To know the engine power, you have to check the CC rating or capacity of the engine. For simpler tasks, 24cc to 46cc is suitable. For heavy-duty tasks, you can go for 60cc engine.
We have mentioned a detail guide on bar length, engine and tasks they can handle in our “Buying Guide”. It also has other information like anti-vibration feature, safety features, throttle, kickback and warranty. Read it carefully to make an informed choice.
A list of the popular and best gas chainsaws for home use and professional use is also provided below for your reference.
Top Gas Chainsaws 2021
Best Gas Chainsaw Reviews
Husqvarna’s gas chainsaw uses a 24 inches blade powered by a 60.3cc gas engine. It offers a maximum power speed of 9,000 rpm. This makes this the most powerful chainsaw with the largest blade on our list. With this blade length and power, you can easily cut huge logs of wood or entire trees within a few minutes.
It has a 2-cycle engine with a chain brake that is activated by inertia. When there is a pushback or you can not control the chainsaw, the blade will automatically stop rotating. With a capacity of 0.7 US pint, you will have enough fuel to complete all your cutting tasks.
The chainsaw uses an automatic chain oiler delivery system. You do not have to pour oil on the saw or the chain. The chainsaw will take care of this and supply oil to the saw and chain to prevent components failure.
The chain is mounted on the side that helps in adjusting it easily when needed. Besides, the air filter can be cleaned easily or replaced.
The chainsaw comes with a 3 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- 24 inches blade – the largest on our list
- Powered by 60.3cc gas engine
- Offers 9,000 rpm
- 2-cycle engine with an inertia activated chain brake
- Decent fuel capacity with 0.7 US pint
- Automatic chain oiler delivery system
- 3 years warranty
- Most powerful chainsaw with the largest blade
- Inertia activated chain brake ensures safety while operating it
- Easy to adjust the chain
- High warranty period
- Not ideal for beginners due to high power
Coocher’s gas chainsaw uses a 62cc engine to power the 20-inch blade. The powerful engine can run the chain at a maximum rpm of 8,500. Such powerful gas chainsaws are known for a heavy kickback. But Coocheer has used a low-kickback chain in this chainsaw. So, even if you do not have experience in using chainsaws, you can still use this one without the fear of kickback.
With this powerful engine and blade length, this gasoline chainsaw is ideal for cutting and trimming trees in your lawns, gardens, and farms. You can also use this to cut hardwood. The engine is efficient and it reduces fuel consumption by 20%.
The chainsaw uses quickstart technology to help you start it without any difficulties. The pull cord is assisted by a cord that makes pulling it very easy. There is also a throttle trigger that you have to push to start the chainsaw.
The efficient air filter system will quickly disperse the dust before it can enter the engine. There is also the automatic chain oiler that pours oil automatically to keep the chain in good working condition. On top of this, the surface of the chainsaw is made of ABS plastic materials that can handle the high temperature.
The chainsaw has guide plate sets to protect the chain from damage and prevent rusting. The handle reduces vibration and allows you to cut the wood with precision.
There is no warranty for this gas chainsaw. You only get the 30-day replacement policy from Amazon.
- Powered by 62cc engine
- Uses a 20 inches blade
- Offers a maximum of 8,500 rpm
- Fuel efficient and reduces fuel consumption by 20%
- Quickstart technology with spring-assisted pull cord
- Automatic chain oiler
- Efficient air filter system
- Suitable for experienced and beginners
- Powerful chainsaw with a good blade size
- Kickback is less
- Reduces vibration and increases precision
- Poor construction and design
- Manual is not available in English
- No warranty
Remington is popularly known for manufacturing and selling grooming kits for men and women. One division of the brand focuses on gas and electric chainsaws. The brand has been in operation since 1937.
Remington’s gas chainsaw uses a 46cc gasoline engine to power the 18 inches blade. With this powerful 2-cycle engine, you experience less vibration. Besides, the blade uses a low-kickback chain that allows you to cut even hardwood very easily.
This gas chainsaw will make short work of your lawn care, yard work, and other wood/tree cutting tasks.
It is lightweight yet heavy-duty. The chainsaw is also easy to start with the quickstart technology. The handle is wrapped with a cushion to provide comfort. All in all, the chainsaw is easy to start, carry, and operate.
On top of this, it has a 5-point vibration system that will reduce the vibration while the chain is running. The automatic oiler ensures that the chain gets an adequate amount of oil. This will make the blade sharp and allow you to cut materials smoothly.
You get a heavy-duty case along with the gas chainsaw to carry the saw.
Remington backs this gas chainsaw with a 2 years limited warranty. Besides, the brand offers reliable and friendly customer service to resolve your queries.
- Powered by a 2-cycle 46cc engine
- Uses an 18 inches blade
- Lightweight and Quickstart technology
- 5-point vibration system
- Automatic oiler
- Comes with a heavy-duty case
- 2-years limited warranty
- Offers decent power for cutting tasks
- Low kickback and less vibration
- Easy to start, carry, and operate
- Decent warranty period and reliable customer service
- Have to adjust the chain frequently
- Have to sharp the blade often
Craftsman’s gas chainsaw comes with a 16 inches bar that is powered by a 42cc full crank 2-cycle engine. With this power, you can cut wood and other materials in a short time without any vibration. Besides, the chainsaw comes with a low kickback chain. So, you can even the hardest of woods without any difficulties.
Unlike other chainsaws on our list, Craftsman’s chainsaw allows you to adjust the amount of oil that is poured on the chain. So, the chain will get the ideal amount of lubricant without any wastage.
The chainsaw has an easystart technology that allows you to easily pull the cord and get right to work. Besides, the chainsaw is lightweight and has a 3-point anti-vibration system. This helps to handle and maneuver the saw easily for your cutting tasks.
The chainsaw uses an inertia-activated brake that stops the chain automatically if you lose control. You do not need any tools to open the air filter or spark plug. This helps to maintain the saw without any difficulties.
With this chainsaw, you get a heavy-duty carrying case and 2-cycle oil.
Craftsman backs this gas chainsaw with a 2 years limited warranty from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 42cc full crank 2-cycle engine
- Uses 16 inches bar with a low kickback chain
- Easystart technology
- Inertia-activated brake
- Lightweight durable poly chassis
- Adjustable auto-chain oiler
- 3-point anti-vibration system
- Comes with a heavy-duty case and 2-cycle oil
- 2 years limited warranty
- Large-sized blade and powerful engine makes cutting tasks easier
- Easy to handle and maneuver
- Less vibration
- Stops automatically if you lose control
- Difficult to start if left unused for some time
- Some areas are made of plastic that damages easily
Homdox’s gas chainsaw runs on a 58cc gas chainsaw to deliver high power to the 20 inches bar. With this power and blade size, you can use saw for heavy-duty jobs such as felling trees, cutting firewood, and storm-cleanup. The low kickback chain ensures that you do not injure yourself during the cutting process.
It is easy to install and dismantle the chainsaw with the help of the instructions manual. Starting the chainsaw is also easy, thanks to the big rope wheel that reduces half the resistance while pulling it.
The handle is covered with a soft rubber that gives you a good grip and helps to handle the saw conveniently. You will not feel any vibrations while operating it. The chain has shrapnels at periodic intervals to secure it against the saw. There is also a safety throttle switch to prevent accidental starting of the saw.
It comes with the standard automatic oil supply system for lubricating the chain. The chain has a quick-stop brake that stops the saw almost instantly. There is also a front guard plate that you can use for emergency braking.
Along with the chainsaw, you get 2 spark plugs, a fuel mixing bottle, tool kit, carrying bag, and user manual.
There is no warranty mentioned for the specific chainsaw but Homdox’s gasoline chainsaws generally come with a 2 years warranty.
- Runs on a powerful 58cc engine
- Uses a large 20 inches bar with a low-kickback chain
- Soft rubber handle for comfort
- Big rope wheel for easy start
- Automatic oil supply system
- Quick-stop brake and front guard plate for emergency braking
- Comes with 2 spark plugs, a fuel mixing bottle, and a tool kit
- Powerful engine and large blade makes it ideal for big cutting projects
- East to start
- Soft rubber handle increases grip and reduces vibration
- Good braking system ensures safety
- You have to assemble the saw
- Warranty period is not specified on the product’s page
Tinfancy’s gas chainsaw is another powerful chainsaw on our list that is ideal for cutting firewood and other hardwood. The 58cc engine provides a maximum rpm of 8,500 to run the 20 inches bar.
The best feature of this gas chainsaw is that it produces 70% fewer emissions and consumes 20% less fuel. You will not only be contributing to the environment but will also save more fuel.
Tinfancy uses an imported chain that has more resistance and lasts longer. Besides, the efficient air filter system and the automatic oiler prolong the life of the chain. The brand claims that the chain lasts 5 times longer than other ordinary chains.
You can easily start the chainsaw without exerting too much force, thanks to the big rope wheel. The 3-point anti-vibration system reduces vibration and ensures you can handle the saw comfortably.
For providing safety while operation, the chainsaw comes with counter-attack shrapnels and guide holes. Besides, there is also a safety switch in place that prevents you or your kids from accidentally turning on the saw.
There is no warranty mentioned on the products page. But the brand generally offers a 2 to 3 years warranty on its gasoline chainsaws.
- Powerful 58cc engine offers a maximum of 8,500 rpm
- Uses a large 20 inches bar
- Imported chain with more resistance
- Efficient air filter system
- Automatic oiler system
- 3-point anti-vibration system
- Counter-attack shrapnels and guide holes
- Safety switch
- Suitable for heavy-duty tasks
- Chain lasts 5 times longer
- Safe to use
- Chain becomes loose and has to be adjusted frequently
- No mention of warranty
Powered by a 62cc engine to run a large 20 inches bar, this chainsaw makes short work of all your cutting tasks. The powerful engine offers a maximum of 8,500 rpm. In spite of offering such high power, the chainsaw is efficient and consumes low fuel.
The chainsaw does not come pre-assembled. You have to install it. But, you can install the saw in no time if you follow the instruction manual. Once installed, you can easily start the saw using the big rope wheel.
The chassis of the chainsaw is made of aluminum alloy die-cast. This makes the chainsaw lightweight yet extremely durable.
The soft rubber handle allows you to carry the chainsaw without any discomfort. It also reduces vibration. The chainsaw comes with counter-attack shrapnel, guide holes, and a safety switch to prevent unfortunate incidents.
To further improve safety, the gasoline chainsaw has a quick-stop chain brake and front guard plate for emergency braking.
The package includes a guide bar cover, toolkit, fuel mixing bottle, carrying case, goggles, and user manual.
Homdox offers a 2 years service warranty on this gasoline chainsaw from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 2-stroke 62cc engine
- 20 inches bar size
- Big rope wheel for easy start
- Made of Aluminum alloy die-cast
- Soft rubber handle for comfort
- Counter-attack shrapnels, guide holes, and safety switch
- Quick-stop chain brake and front guard plate for emergency braking
- 2 years service warranty
- Ideal for landscaping and gardening
- Powerful and efficient engine
- Lightweight and durable
- Easy and safe to use
Echo is a reliable brand that uses professional high-grade components to build chainsaws. The brand uses advanced technology such as pro-fire ignition and vibration reduction technology to provide comfort and safety to the users.
Echo’s gasoline chainsaw runs on a 40.2cc engine that delivers steady power to an 18 inches bar. Even though it is not the most powerful engine, it still delivers sufficient power for cutting trees, felling, and lawn maintenance.
The bar is smaller compared to other options on our list. If you want to cut trees of large size, you can replace this with a 20 or 22 inches bar. But, you have to ensure that the new bar is compatible with the model. As for the power requirements, the 40.2cc engine will deliver enough power to drive bars of up to 22 inches in size.
The chainsaw is lightweight and you can easily carry it and maneuver it to cut trees, wood, and other materials. In spite of being light, the chainsaw is made of durable materials to withstand any damage.
The chainsaw comes fully assembled. You can directly get to work as soon as you receive the package. The engine is easy to start by simply pulling the cord.
Apart from this, maintaining the saw is also pretty simple. It is easy to adjust the chain and you can also remove the air filter when not in use. The chainsaw comes with engine oil that is poured on the chain to ensure the long-lasting of the chain.
The seller has not mentioned the warranty period. In general, Echo’s gas chainsaws come with a 5 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- Powered by 40.2cc engine
- Uses an 18 inches bar
- Lightweight and durable
- Comes pre-assembled
- Comes with engine oil
- Easy start engine
- Very reliable
- Offers a decent amount of power
- Easy to start and operate
- Easy to maintain
- Bar size could have been more
Populan Pro’s gas chainsaw offers a decent amount of power from its 42cc engine for your cutting needs. It has an 18 inches bar that can cut small to medium-sized wood. This power and bar size make the saw perfect for felling trees, cutting firewood, and storm cleanup.
Populan Pro has used its patented technology OxyPower to generate incredible power with reduced fuel consumption and lower emission. The fuel will last longer and you will be spending very little on the fuel. Besides, you will also be doing your part to develop a greener environment.
The pull cord is assisted by a spring to help you start the engine soon. You do not have to waste your energy and time in pulling the cord. The engine will start with fewer cord-pulls.
The gasoline chainsaw has an ergonomic design with a superior anti-vibration system. Even if you operate the chainsaw for long hours, you will not get tired. There will be minimal vibration. Besides, the controls are easy to access.
The automatic oiler does its part in lubricating the bar and chain to prevent wear and extend the life. The air filtering system will prevent dust from entering the engine and reducing efficiency.
The chainsaw comes with an integrated onboard scrench with a snap-lock cover. You can easily access the chain tensioning component without using any tools.
Populan Pro provides a 1-year warranty to all its gasoline chainsaws.
- Runs on a 42cc engine
- Uses 18 inches bar
- Patented OxyPower technology
- Spring-assisted pull cord
- Automatic oiler and air filtering system
- Onboard scrench
- 1-year warranty
- Suitable for medium-duty tasks
- Consumes less fuel and generates lower emissions
- Starts within a few pulls of the cord
- Can access the inner parts without tools
- Performance drops over time
- Warranty period could have been more
How To Choose The Best Gas Chainsaw?
If you are beginner in purchasing a new chainsaw, then it can be confusing to shortlist. So, you have to consider some factors while choosing a chainsaw. We have mentioned some of them below which help you decide which gas chainsaw works best for you.
1. Blade Length Guide
Blade length is sometimes referred as guide bar. It determines the area where the chain is connected to and spins in order to chop the wood. This is the foremost factor to consider while purchasing a gas chainsaw.
In order to determine how thick wood piece can the chainsaw handle, then you have to look at length of blade and chain. Guide bars are available on several lengths but gas chainsaws only come in between 12 to 72 inches range.
For residential purposes and casual lumberjack, 12 to 20inches chainsaw is ideal. For professional use, 20 inches and above is recommended.
To determine which one exactly suits you, we recommend to consider general thumb rule which states that chainsaw blade has to be at least 2 inches larger than wood you want to chop. It provides proper clearance and prevents any potential injuries from kickback which occurs due to sudden thrust of saw blade backs towards the user.
For your reference, we have provided a table that represents tasks and its suitable bar length/blade
Here are common gas chainsaw guide bar lengths and their associated tasks:
|Chainsaw Task||Guide Bar Length (inches)|
|Trimming||16 or less|
|Pruning||12 or less|
|Limbing||12 to 14|
|Felling a small tree||12 to 14|
|Felling a medium tree||16 to 18|
|Light firewood cutting||14 to 16|
|Medium firewood cutting||16 to 18|
|Bucking||18 or larger|
|Felling large trees and
slicing thicker logs
|20 to 24|
It represents the engine size. The basic thumb rule to remember is higher the number, powerful the engine is. Efficient engines can handle heavy and demanding tasks like felling large trees. However, remember that, more the power, heavy the machine will weigh.
If you want to maneuver around a lot or have only light to moderate tasks, small engines are suitable. The easiest way to check the power of a given chainsaw is to look at the CC rating or capacity of an engine. You can find gas chainsaw options with 40 CC or 60 CC engines as two of the most popular options. And as you would expect, a 60 CC engine will perform than a 40 CC one.
For occasional usage and residential purposes, chainsaw between 24cc to 64cc of power is suitable. If need chainsaw for heavy-duty cutting, it is better to consult professional rather than doing yourself.
To provide clear guidelines, we have provided a table below which represents suitable chainsaw power based on the task.
|Task||Chainsaw Power Required|
|Small tree felling||30cc to 40cc|
|Medium tree felling||45cc and higher|
|Large logs (bucking)||50cc and higher|
|Light firewood (under 10”)||35cc to 45cc|
|Medium firewood (10”-16”)||40cc to 50cc|
Note: Apart from that, some gas chainsaws might have their engine power mentioned in horsepower as 2.5 HP or 3.5 HP. As you would expect, a 3.5 HP engine will perform better than a 2.5 HP one. If your chainsaw has a powerful gas engine, you can easily cut through trees without any issues and get clean cuts.
3. Blade Speed
A lot of power tools have their blade or tool head speed mentioned. And this is quite important to know as a higher motor or tool speed generally results in a much better performance. Similarly, chainsaws also have their blade speed mentioned in either RPM or FPS. While RPM stands for rounds per minute and relates to the motor or the engine, FPS stands for feet per minute that tells you the speed at which the chain of your chainsaw is moving.
You can find options like 4000 RPM or 5000 RPM gas chainsaws and 30 FPS or 40 FPS gas chainsaws out there. And as you would expect, the chainsaw options with a blade speed of 5000 RPM or 40 FPS will offer better performance. This results in cleaner cuts and allows you to quickly and easily cut trees and tree branches using your chainsaw.
4. Oiler Type
Lubrication is an important thing to consider as it keeps the chain and blade workable. They prevent the components from getting damaged or overheated. The process of oiling chair and bar is different from one chainsaw to another. Basically, there are three types of oiling methods. No method is specifically better than the other. It depends on the style you are comfortable with. Below we have provided a clear description of each oiling type.
- Manual Oiler – In this process, a button is used to oil the chain and bar. This way lets you control the oiling and amount of lubrication.
- Automatic Oiler (fixed) – Also known as self-oiling system, it will provide lubrication to chainsaw components constantly. The flow cannot be adjusted.
- Automatic Oiler (adjustable) – Like above option, it is a self-oiling system but it also comes with the option of adjusting the lubrication. It ensures a steady flow of oil to the chain and bar. Due to the ability of increasing or decreasing the oil amount, it is the best from above two.
5. Chain Brake System
Even if you have several years of experience, at some point, you may experience some kickback. It determines sudden rotational thrust of chainsaw blade towards the user. This kickback can cut the upper regions, especially the face.
It usually happens in situations where the chain tip catches with a hard object or when the chain gets pinched between wood while chopping.
To avoid any potential injuries, it is better to have choose a model with chain brake system. It is actually a safety mechanism that prevents the chain from spinning when kickback occurs. This features comes in two types – inertia-activated and manual.
- Manual Chain Brake – The chain comes to stop when physical contact happens with wide bar (which is usually situated in front of the top handlebar. Actually, this bar will hit up the wrist in order to start the chain brake.
- Intertia-Activated Chain Brake – When a sudden upward force bar is encountered, chain will stop spinning. This option doesn’t require any physical contact in order to start the chain brake. It usually operates from an internal mechanism.
In terms of safety, both of them are good enough while operating gas powered chainsaw. But among the two options, activated chain brake option is the advanced version. However, this option can add more bucks to the price.
6. Chain Tensioner Type
Chainsaw chains handles very hard tasks. So, you have to adjust them regularly. This is even more important for new chainsaws. As the chain is fresh, they are more prone to stretching.
Every chainsaw has a certain way to adjust itself to the tension. There are two popular chain tensioner types that include – options that includes special tool and option that hasn’t. Let’s see how these two options work…
- Scrench Chain Tensioner – Scrench is a combination of wrench and screwdriver. It is used to tighten or loosen the chain by adjusting the screw or bolt.
- Tool-Less Chain Tensioner – This option doesn’t require any sort of tool. Actually, the chain tension is adjusted using a knob. This is why it has got the name tool-less.
7. Buckling Spikes
People who have to deal with heavy tree cutting or pruning stuff usually prefer gas chainsaws. If you are choosing the same option, then we recommend to have a look at buckling spikes feature. They represent sharp metal spikes which connect the chainsaw body at the blade base.
You have to dig them into the tree trunk in order to support the machine while chopping. The bucking spike feature lets you chop or cut trees more easily. It performs straight cuts and adds protection source against kickback.
Common handle types available with chainsaws is top and rear. Rear handle chainsaws are suitable for ground tasks. Top handle types are specially designed for tasks where the person has to climb up a tree or an elevated platform for pruning or cutting.
9. Anti-Vibration Features
This feature reduces the vibrations which are often experienced while operating a chainsaw. It will let the user to work for longer times. It reduces the discomfort and minimize the numbness.
10. Spring-Assist Starting
Having a gas chainsaw that requires countless pulls to get the machine start is pretty annoying. In order to avoid such issues, it is better to have spring assist starting. This feature decreases the pulling force that is required in order to start the machine. This actually makes the process much easier.
11. Throttle Lock
This factors will force you to operate the throttle lock to use the chainsaw. This actually prevents the unintentional operation.
Weight is actually pretty important factor when it comes to purchasing a chainsaw. Before analyzing the options, you have to check how long you intend to use the chainsaw and how heavy the chainsaw is. Initially, 12 pounds of weight may seem not so difficult but it can add more weight as the time passes like if you use it continuously for 30 minutes. Proper weight distribution is also important while analyzing the product weight.
Metal is obviously the sturdier and trust-worthy option as it provides better longevity. However, they are much expensive. But if you are on a budget, then we recommend to go for a polycarbonate build. If you can afford, then it is always better to go for metal versions.
14. Attachment Compatibility
As woodworking tasks can be diverse, it is better to purchase a chainsaw that comes with several attachments that are specially designed for different purposes. For example, debarkers clean the logs in order to prepare it for cutting. Milling machines lets you cut the wood into planks, beams and structural boards. Few saws come with capability to attach poles that result in extended reach. It can be bought as separate machine when your requirement is trimming or pruning higher areas of the tree.
Few gas-powered chainsaws come with extra set of features like heated handlers, mufflers, air filte, spark plug, stop control, exhaust air cleaning system and others. If having certain factors make the process much easier, then why not opt for chainsaw model with them.
16. Popularity Ratings
Checking out the user reviews to know the performance of the chainsaw. Several people fall to the marketing tricks and end up choosing a wrong one. Having a look at the reviews and ratings from product to product, will help you understand the true worth of the product.
When it comes to electronic tools, you always get what you pay for. The price range of gas-powered chainsaws is anywhere from $80 to $600 based on the features and brand popularity.
If you have a tight budget, you will have non-professional and good quality chainsaws. However, make sure to read the customer reviews and rating beforehand. And also closely checkout some safety features like power, ergonomics, safety features and even customer service.
18. Durability and Warranty
If you are using your gas chainsaw for cutting a lot of wood, you can face issues over a long period of time. As a result, you should get gas chainsaws that are durable enough. The easiest way to make sure that the given chainsaw is durable enough is to get one with a decent warranty duration. While most of the gas chainsaw options out there offer a 2-year warranty, some of them even come with a 4 year-long warranty.
You can also check the build quality offered by a gas chainsaw. Such gas chainsaws with longer warranty periods and decent build quality can easily last for a long time. The chain material offered by a chainsaw is also quite important to check. Any gas chainsaw that comes with carbide chains can easily last for a long time without needing to replace the chains.
Benefits of Using a Gas Chainsaw
As you already know, there are other types of chainsaws apart from gas operated model. For handling heavier tasks, gas chainsaws are the most preferred ones. Apart from that, there are several other advantages of choosing a gas chainsaw. We have provided the information below.
- Power – Compared to other models, gas chainsaws are considered the most powerful option. As the chain spins much faster and tougher, it can easily cut through wood of any thickness.
- Guide Bar Length – Gas chainsaws come in several options when it comes to length. This lets you choose the right guide bar for your type of jobs. 72inches or 6feet is the longest blade length available with gas powered chainsaws.
- Mobility – They let you prune or cut regardless of where and when you use it. Usually, electric chainsaws are limited extension cord length and when it comes to battery chainsaws, they require power source to recharge. But gas chainsaws don’t have any such limitations. As long as you have the fuel in the tank, you are good to go.
- Safety – Apart from being powerful, gas powered chainsaws also come with several advanced safety features that are specially designed to safeguard the user. Some models come with inertia-activated chain brake – which stops the chain spinning whenever kickback happens. Such safety features are rare when it comes to other models.
- More Options – As gas chainsaw models are pretty popular than the rest, they are available in a wide array of options. You can easily find gas model that suits your specific needs without any adjustment or having to give up on any feature. When it comes to electric or battery models, limited options are available to choose from.
What is the Safest Way to Use Gas Chainsaw?
As per recent statistics, over 100,000 chainsaw related injuries occur every year in United States of America. So, you should never be careless while using a chainsaw. Operating chainsaw is a dangerous task which can be fatal if they are not experienced or if proper safety precautions are not undertaken.
First thing to always to consider is to check the manufacturer and owner’s manual instructions. It is helpful to use, operate or maintain the chainsaw safely.
- For example, when you have to prune or fell trees, you should always make sure the area where you are working should be clear. And make sure to handle the pruning or felling task only when there is high winds or other severe weather conditions.
- Before cutting the tree or its branches, make sure they don’t fall on property like homes, cars or even power lines.
- Make sure to use PPE every single time. This protection gear includes heavy work boots, thick pants and sleeves, chainsaw chaps, heavy work gloves, hardhat, eye and ear protection. Remember that it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Always keep the chainsaw either on the ground of between the legs (and the blade part should face outward). Make sure to grip the handlebar, press throttle trigger and start pulling the rope to engage.
- After giving a few pills, it will pop but it will not start. In that time period, you have to disengage the choke and pull the rope starter again. Make sure set the saw idle by tapping throttle trigger before operating.
- While operating the chainsaw, beware of your balance and footing. Because any mis-steps or slips can be fatal and dangerous in least.
- Be cautious of pinching and kickback, position of the saw, and bar tip. Use a firm two-handed grip and balanced stance. Take good care and maintenance of the machine between the uses. This not only keeps you safe but also makes sure the machine is durable and long lasting.
Things to Avoid While Using a Gas Chainsaw
- Never use a chainsaw that has loose, damaged or missing parts.
- Avoid drop starting the machine if you are controlling it only with one hand or when the chain is touching any part of your or other human body.
- Don’t make any adjustments to the chain or part of the chainsaw while in operation.
- Never leave the chainsaw unattended, especially there are pets and kids running around.
- It is prevented to use a chainsaw when you are alone. It is better to have a partner nearby to maintain the work area clear while you pruning or felling trees.
If you are a beginner, make sure to take chainsaw safety classes. You can sign up for them at any local extension service offices. There are several people who can give your proper advice and hands-on guidance on how to work with chainsaw comfortably.
How to Prepare Gas and Oil Mixture for a Chainsaw?
If you are considering to mix fuel by yourself, then make sure you have a fuel container with cap, two stroke engine oil, and high octane fuel of your choice.
While mixing the gasoline with oil, the ratio has to be 40:1 or 50:1 based on the manufacturer guidelines. Gasoline with higher octane will burn much slower and also run cooler in 2-cycle motors which are commonly found in gas-powered chainsaws.
We recommend to use premium gasoline of at least 89 to prevent any piston seizure of elevated temperature. To extend the shelf life, it is recommended to add fuel stabilizer, especially if you are not going to use it over couple of months or more.
Note: If you are experiencing any trouble with measurements while mixing the gasoline mixture, you can go for childproof, premixed gasoline container with stabilizer, oil, and gasoline. They are available in equipment and tool stores. These containers come with measurements or marks.
Though, the chainsaw contains a different reservoir for chain and oil, don’t misunderstand it with oil that is required by your engine. Chain and bar oil are especially present for chains as it has to glide over the guide bar. The oil lubrication keeps it from binding up or overheating.
How to Maintain or Take Proper Care of Chainsaw
Just like any other machine or device, basic care and regular maintenance is important to maintain the shelf life. To maintain it properly, all you have to do it invest a little bit of time after every use.
- Make sure you are using gasoline with proper combination ratio of oil and gas. Remember you are using chain and bar oil to ensure engine is running properly and smoothly.
- After every use, make sure to clear all the sawdust and other dirt that has accumulated to oil ports, guide bar grooves, stick and around power sprocket.
- Check out the chain sharpness as dulled edges will work less efficiently. Make sure to place the strain on motor so that is can run longer to complete the task. Make sure to check for any damage, wear and bad links.
- Regularly check and clan the air filter and spark plug. In order to make the engine work smoothly, proper air flow is important which can be achieved by a clean spark plug with correct gap. If the spark plug or air filter are dirty, then it can strain the engine and prevent it from starting.
- It is important to replace the fuel once in every 2 months. For a clean running engine, make sure to clean the fuel filter regularly. In order to do that – drain the tank, fish out the screen and wash it using a solvent before replacing.
- Check out the chainsaw and its parts are clean as required. Perform a periodic cleaning and adjustment on cooling fins, oiler, carburettor and exhaust system.
Best Chainsaw Brands
There are several brands to choose from but not everyone is trustworthy. Below we have provided some reliable brands with reviews.
- Stihl – it has over 90 years of experience in manufacturing power tools. They primarily focus on chainsaws. It is considered a trusted brand by people because of functionality and reliability.
- Husqvarna – This brand is actually the main foundation of power tools. It has been a producer of outdoor equipment for over 329 years.
- Remington – It was founded in 1921 and has become popular by word of mouth and producing reliable and high quality products. They have been one of the top brands in the market.
- Craftsman – It started in the year 1920s. because of its quality, it has come a long way in the development of chainsaws over the year. It has become a common household name when it comes to chainsaws.
While gas chainsaws are much louder when compared with electric options, these usually offer much better performance. Therefore, these are quite popular among professional lumberjacks and you can find a lot of options out there. Hence, we have mentioned some of the best options in this article along with their differences and a detailed buying guide. But, if you are still confused and can’t find the perfect gas chainsaw, here are some of our recommendations:
- If you want a highly powerful gas chainsaw, then you can go with the Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw. As per its name, it comes with a large 24-inch cutting blade that is much larger than other options present in this article. And this blade is powered by a 60.3 CC engine that is quite powerful for most users. Since Husqvarna is a highly reputable brand, you also get a great build quality and a 2 year warranty period.
- While Remington is a popular brand of power tools and chains, the Remington Gas Chainsaw is the most reliable and durable options present in this article. This is due to the reason that apart from offering a great build quality, you also get a 2-year long warranty with this chainsaw. And since it has a blade size of 18 inches that is powered by a 46 CC engine, you get a great balance between size and performance.
- Although, if you are on a budget, and want an affordable gas chainsaw option, then you can go with the Poulan Pro Gas Chainsaw. Since it is a renewed chainsaw and not a brand new product, it has a significantly lower price tag. It comes with a 42 CC engine that is quite powerful for its given compact size. And the compact size and light body of this gas chainsaw make it a great option if you travel with your chainsaw quite a lot.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!