Evaporative air coolers are the best alternative to AC’s during summers specially in dry and semi-arid areas. They can also be shifted from one place to other as many of them come with wheels on their base. They cost half equal to an AC and require one-fourth electricity as compared to AC’s. They are environmental friendly also as they do not use hazardous refrigerants for cooling.
But, following three factors are very important to consider when you are selecting which air cooler suits you best-
1. Effective Area of Cooling
You should always be aware of size of area you want to cool. Effective cooling area specification is always written on cooler model description. If it is a small room go for low effective cooling area cooler. If it is a large hall or large workshop like garage go for large effective cooling area cooler. This will let you invest your money in right cooler.
2. Automatic Air Swing Delivery System
This feature lets you adjust the direction of air blown into your room. This allows every person sitting in your room to feel the cool air. Coolers come with different oscillation angles like 40°, 70°, 120° so as the size of room increases your coolers oscillation angle should also increase so that air reaches every corner of your room.
3. Wheels at Base
If your cooler has wheels then you can shift it instantly from one place of your home to other very easily. This will let you cool different rooms of your home with a single cooler only. And you will also be able to save your electricity bill and extra money to be spent on extra cooler.
However certain other factors are also there that decide which air cooler is best for you. You can refer to them in our “Buying Guide”.
Further, keeping your needs in mind we have shortlisted the following best evaporative air coolers for you:
Best Evaporative Air Coolers
Best Evaporative Air Coolers Reviews
Hessaire has a great brand reputation out there and is well-known for producing excellently engineered evaporative coolers at highly affordable prices. Speaking about the MC37M model that we have here, it has a decent airflow of 3,100 cubic feet per minute. That said, the MC37M air cooler is quite good to use in larger rooms, as its effective cooling area is mentioned to be 950sq.ft. on paper.
It boasts superior quality Chillcel cooling pads which have extremely high density and can last for about 8 years without any need of replacement. In fact, the tank capacity of this evaporative cooler is about 10.3 gallons which allows it to provide consistent cooling for almost 4 hours continuously. Coming to its other features, there are 3 different rotary controls (Off, High, Mid, Low), and also an Air Swing Delivery system is also present.
Although the design of the air cooler might not be too impressive, its build quality will blow your mind. Make sure the room has enough space for this cooler as it’s 37x17x24 inches in size. On the other hand, the weight of this unit is 40 pounds, but you won’t face any struggle moving it around, thanks to the high-quality caster wheels.
- The power consumption of this air cooler is around 250Watts.
- Ideal for spaces up to 950sq.ft.
- Delivers 3100CFM airflow and has 3 different fan speed modes
- The tank capacity is 10.3 Gallons.
- Superior Build Quality
- Uses a 0.2HP powerful motor
- Comes with a continuous tank fill feature
- Max noise of 59dB might feel disturbing.
Agilly might be a new brand name in the market, but definitely not the one which is destined to leave the market any time soon. The brand knows what the customers are looking for, and provides exactly that at affordable costs. Speaking of this particular air cooler model, it’s a 43” cooling tower fan, an absolute best alternative for an Air conditioner.
To provide you with the best cooling experience, it has 4 pre-programmed cooling modes and 3 fan speed modes that you can set as per your requirements. It’s safer than a conventional air cooler since no blades are involved. On top of that, it needs quite less space on the floor and does not make any unnecessary noise, not above 40dB to be precise.
It has a pretty small tank of 1-gallon capacity, or you can use up to 4 ice packs as well. The effective cooling area of this air cooler is about 200sq.ft., which means it’s an ideal option to use in your office cabin or bedroom. For a better and convenient experience, you can also use its 70-degrees oscillation swing feature. Moreover, you can set up a 12H sleep timer on this air cooler, all with the help of a remote controller that works perfectly even from a 16ft distance.
- Remote Controller operated
- 200sq.ft effective cooling area
- 4 Cooling and 3 Fan Speed Modes
- 1 Gallon Tank Capacity
- Highly Portable
- Silent operation
- 12 Combinations of Airflow
- Makes the environment very moist
If you are certainly looking for a cooling tower fan, one of the best products to check out is from Breezewell. It’s a small-sized cooler unit, but don’t judge its cooling power by its size only as it’s capable of cooling 900sq.ft. area very easily.
Although it features 3 different fan speed modes, it is highly likely to cool down any room within a few minutes, thanks to the powerful 250CFM airflow, even without making any disturbing noise. You can even take advantage of its 60° oscillation feature that delivers a powerful cool breeze to every corner of the room. In fact, it boasts an effective dust and bacteria filter as well.
Speaking of its construction, it’s built very sturdily, yet feels quite lightweight and easy to move around. It’s actually 43” tall and has a small 12” x 12” footprint, and only has a 1-gallon tank capacity. For those people who are concerned about its power consumption, it takes only 1.5 kWh energy for 24 hours of use which is extremely less compared to an Air Conditioner.
- 20-ft Remote Control distance
- 12H Sleep Timer option
- Consumes only 1.5 kWh energy for 24-hour usage
- Effective Cooling Area up to 900sq.ft.
- Quiet Operation
- Energy Consumption is very low
- Ideal for all room-sizes
- Tank Capacity could be better
Comfyhome has been around for the past 40 years serving its customers with highly durable products while taking care of the customer’s satisfaction ever since. That said, we bring you this 3-in-1 evaporative air cooler from Comfyhome that has a mass airflow of 455CFM and an effective cooling area of 170sq.ft. with a total tank capacity of 2 gallons.
This air cooler is fairly compact in size, and lightweight as well. Despite that, to help the user move it comfortably, it comes with 4 heavy-duty caster wheels on its base. Equipped with a powerful yet energy-efficient motor, it has the capability to cool down a room in a few minutes. In fact, using its 65° oscillation feature, it can easily cover an entire room. In case you’re resting and don’t want to change its settings, the remote controller will definitely make your life easier.
Speaking of its settings, you get to choose from 3 various cooling modes on this air cooler. Its humidifier function is quite helpful if the environment feels rough and dry. Moreover, as it throws air, the dust and bacteria filter installed in the cooler ensure the air reaching you is always fresh and clean.
- Has a total water tank capacity of 2 gallons.
- Comes with a 12H timer feature
- 3 Speeds ＆ 3 Modes
- 2 reusable ice packs included
- Impressive cooling effect
- Ideal for small rooms
- Extremely lightweight and compact in size
- The wheels are a little stiff
If you are essentially looking for a large-sized air cooler for a large space such as halls, workshops, etc., OEMTOOLS has just the right air cooler for you, available at a pleasant cost. So, the size of this air cooler is itself big, measuring 25.8 x 16.9 x 35.8 inches, hence it takes up a decent amount of room space.
However, once you get it working, it won’t take more than 10 minutes to completely change the climate inside the room, thanks to 3,100CFM powerful airflow offered by its 1/5HP motor. Although we are not a big fan of its build quality, we definitely love it for its features though. The water tank of this cooler comes with a continuous fill feature and has a total capacity of 10.3 gallons.
Speaking of other features, it boasts an advanced swing feature that allows it to throw air in multiple directions. That said, the effective cooling area of this air cooler is 950sq.ft. which is quite great. Depending on your needs, you can adjust its fan speed between 3 different levels. Moreover, you will find 4 heavy-duty caster wheels attached to its base that will help you move this 40pounds air cooler effortlessly.
- Has heavy-duty caster wheels
- Cools 950sq.ft area
- Uses a 0.2HP 3-speed motor
- The water tank capacity is 10.3 gallons.
- Best suitable for large halls, and outdoor use.
- Comes with high-quality ChillCel cooling pads.
- Reduces humidity up to some extent
- Occupies more space due to large size
Honeywell produces a wide range of home appliances and has also been a top-tier brand in the cooling industry for over a decade now. The Honeywell CO48PM Evaporative Air Cooler suits this list quite well and has decent specs to compete with other products.
If you live in an area where it’s consistently dry in summers, you should definitely have the CO48PM air cooler in your home. Although it looks big in size, it just measures 24.4″ W 14.8″ D 34.8″ H and weighs around 30.9lbs. No matter how heavy it is, the caster wheels will help you move it around easily. Since it has various fan speed modes, it has a powerful airflow ranging from 1062CFM to 1471CFM, even when the max power consumption is just 150Watts.
This is a perfect air cooler for indoor as well as outdoor use since it has an effective cooling area of 610sq.ft. The 10.6-gallon tank capacity is fairly good for an air cooler of this size. In fact, it uses triple-sided honeycomb cooling pads for a pleasant evaporative cooling experience. On top of that, it has a separate compartment for putting ice. Speaking of its build quality, it’s weatherproof and UV resistant as well.
- Uses triple-sided honeycomb cooling pads
- The power consumption is around 150Watts.
- Has a 10.6-gallon water tank capacity.
- Offers 1062CFM to 1471CFM airflow with 3-speed modes.
- Built of weatherproof and UV-resistant material
- Power consumption is low
- Ideal for outdoor use also
Last but not the least, we have yet another decent air cooler option left to cover on this list, from this highly-reputed brand, Frigidaire. It’s an ideal air cooler to pick if you are looking forward to using it both indoors as well as outdoors. With its powerful 1650CFM airflow, it’ll do a pretty decent job in both areas.
The tank capacity of 10.6 gallons is pretty good as it will last for a full night and provide you with a good and cold sleeping experience. According to your likings, you can choose between 3 fan speed modes and have a personalized experience. For consistent cooling, it boasts 3 eco-friendly high moisture cooling pads, which are not going to face any wear and tear any time soon.
It does get a wide-oscillation feature that allows it to cool any-size room in a matter of a few minutes. The build quality and design are pretty good as well, and the caster wheels are highly useful in moving this large-sized air cooler. That said, the dimensions of this cooler measures around 20.5 x 29.7 x 44.3 inches, so, you need to ensure your room has space for this much empty space to use this air cooler. Although the overall cooler is quite good, in case of any issues, you can get it fixed for free under the 1-year warranty period.
- 10.6 Gallons tank capacity
- Triple-sided cooling pads
- 220 Watts Power Consumption
- 1650CFM airflow
- Can be used outdoors
- Easily replaceable cooling pads
- Portable Design
How To Select A Good Evaporative Air Cooler?
Buying a good air cooler makes the summers easy and comfortable. You must be wondering which air cooler is best for you, isn’t it? Don’t worry we have your answers with us, just go through the following factors you should consider while buying your air cooler and you will end up deciding the right features you want in your air cooler:
1. Effective Area of Cooling:
Always read the cooling area specification written on model description. It will ensure that cooler you are buying is sufficient to cool your required area.
Like for cooling garages, workshops or halls you need larger cooling area cooler while for a smaller or average sized room a low cooling area cooler will work.
Also keep in mind that cooling area of cooler you are buying must be greater than or equal to area you want to cool.
2. Cooling Pads Used:
When water wets the cooling pads and air is passed through it the cold water absorbs heat from air and makes it cool and cooler then delivers you the cold air. So, there are two cooling pads available in the market:
They are high density cooling pads, made of cellulose and look like a honey comb in structure. They provide more cooling compared to other cooling pads available. They are highly efficient and durable but expensive in cost.
- Aspen or wood wool cooling pads:
They look like grasses in structure and provide less cooling as compared to honey comb cooling pads. They are economic in cost but less durable and less efficient.
3. Power Consumption by Air Cooler:
Initial cost of air cooler is one-time expenditure, but the running cost of cooler is lifetime expenditure and matters a lot.
So, if you come across two same features air coolers but different power ratings, always go with one which consumes less power irrespective of their prices.
However, area you want to cool also decides power consumption as power consumption of cooler increases with increase in cooling area of cooler.
4. Water Tank Capacity:
As the area you want to cool increases the required water tank size also increases. Hence, selecting the cooler with required tank capacity will prevent you getting tired from filling the water tank frequently.
5. Water Level Indicator And Empty Tank Alarm:
Water level indicator tells you the amount of water present in the cooler. As it reaches the minimum level the empty tank alarm notifies you to fill the tank again with water.
This feature saves motor of the cooler from getting damage on running water free. However, addition of these two features makes the cooler more costly.
6. Speed Control NOB:
Generally, all the air coolers have this feature. This allows you to regulate the flow of air you want by increasing or decreasing the speed of fan. Three speeds on which cooler runs are low, medium and high speed.
7. Remote Control Feature:
If you remain too busy and can’t get to your cooler every time you wish to change its setting. Then this is the right feature for you as it allows you to control your cooler from the distance with the help of a remote just like you control your AC or TV. However, addition of this feature increases the cost of air cooler.
8. Air Swing Delivery System:
This feature ensures the reach of air blown by cooler in all the directions of your room. Air cooler comes with oscillation of 40°, 70°, 120° etc. and as the degree of oscillation increases the range of air blown also increases.
If you have a large room or area to cool buy the cooler with higher degree of oscillation.
9. Timer Function:
The timer function allows you to program your cooler for uninterrupted running. And when the set time is reached it automatically gets switch-off.
Coolers come with maximum timer function of 15hrs or 7.5hrs, you can select the one which suits you best. But, coolers with this feature are little expensive.
10. Wheels at Base:
Castor wheels present at base, helps in mobilizing the air coolers easily. And you can cool different areas of your home by mobilizing the cooler to those areas without much effort.
Advantages of Evaporative Air Coolers:
- Cost effectiveness – Evaporative air coolers cost very less as compared to AC’s but still provide effective cooling.
- Energy efficient – They use less electricity compared to AC’s, and provide you effective cooling with reduced electricity bill.
- Eco-friendly – They don’t use harmful refrigerants to provide cooling, they just cool the natural air from atmosphere making it ecofriendly for you and your family.
- Humidifier – They are great humidifier in dry or semi-arid regions as they increase the moisture content in air they blow.
- Easily Portable – Wheels present at their base allows you to shift them to your desired area.
DisAdvantages of Evaporative Air Coolers:
- Less effective in humid areas – Less effective in humid and coastal areas as they cannot add moisture into the air any more.
- High Maintenance – Motors and fans of the coolers are prone to rust and damage and hence proper maintenance is required.
- Regular Filling of Tank – Once the water gets empty in the tank, you need to refill it which most people find tiresome to do. The problem gets worse if you live in a drought full area.
- Noise – The running of motor to blow the air produces lot of sound which may seem noisy and may disturb you.
We hope you have liked this list of the best evaporative air coolers and found it useful to select the best suitable air cooler option for your home. Almost all the products that we have shortlisted have pretty low power consumption, yet provide amazing cooling. Although we have mentioned all the key features of each product along with its pros and cons so that you don’t find it difficult to choose one for yourself. Still, if you are facing trouble making the final decision, we have a few personal recommendations for you:
- Thinking of a powerful air cooler, the only name that comes to mind is the Hessaire MC37M Portable Evaporative Cooler. It comes with a variety of different speed and cooling modes and delivers an amazing cooling effect up to 950 sq. ft. Hence, it’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
- If you want an air cooler that should operate quietly and shall not disturb you while sleeping, the AGILLY Cooling Tower Fan is the best option for you. With 200 sq.ft. cooling area capacity, it’s the perfect choice to use in the bedroom. In fact, it can be operated using Remote as well.
- In case power consumption is a major concern for you, the BREEZEWELL 2-In-1 Bladeless Tower Fan consumes only 65Watts and is one of the best energy-efficient evaporative coolers for indoor use. Despite low power consumption, it has an effective cooling area of 900 sq. ft. which is quite impressive.